Today’s travelers are visual decision makers. They rely on imagery to help them decide where to go, where to stay, and what to do. And now more than ever, they’re using their phones to do it.
Whether booking a flight, researching the best restaurant options for dinner, or getting directions to a museum, travelers are relying on their smartphones to plan, purchase, and schedule their travel experiences.
In fact, 80% of travelers say they don’t know what they would do if they didn’t have their phones while traveling!1
Chances are, you’re not surprised by this trend. You’ve probably seen a considerable amount of mobile traffic to your website that has only continued to grow over the last few years (for context, over 50% of all global website traffic last year was from mobile phones!)
Even though it’s not surprising, it underscores the importance of continuing to build and improve your website and content so they’re mobile-friendly. A great mobile experience is key to keeping your visitors engaged and your website effective.
Mobile galleries built for the modern traveler
We’re excited to announce our brand new mobile gallery design, now better aligned with the way modern travelers are using their smartphones to consume content and plan their travel.
Our new mobile galleries are cleaner, easier to navigate, and beautifully display the helpful location and business details travelers need when planning their trip. More than just being responsive, these mobile galleries are designed specifically for the travel and tourism industry.
The why and the how
So, why did we decide to introduce this?
When we launched Google Locations, we brought the ability to add key location and business details directly to the visuals in your website galleries. It got us thinking about how we can better display that information in our mobile galleries as well, so the helpful information travelers need is right at their fingertips.
To offer the best experience possible, we made 3 main design changes.
1| Visuals are front and center
Our new design puts your visuals first - they’re more prominent, eye-catching, and the main focus on screen.
Photos now cover the entire width of the screen and additional information is discreetly located at the bottom, so the visuals take center stage and are more impactful. Plus, you can seamlessly and easily navigate between photos.
2| The key information travelers need is available, accessible, and easily-actionable
Getting directions and researching attractions and activities are amongst the most common things that travelers use their smartphones for.
Google Locations give travelers the helpful, contextual information they need about local attractions and experiences -- like hours, website URL, and directions -- right alongside the photo or video they’re interested in.
Let’s say a traveler is looking through a gallery on your page about the best museums in your city. With Google location information attached to each photo, they could head directly to Google Maps for directions or to the museum's website to buy tickets, all with one simple click.
By displaying that information more prominently and making it more accessible within mobile galleries, your website is even more helpful to travelers when they’re planning activities on the go.
3| Swipe up!
People today are used to swiping up in mobile experiences to get more information, whether they’re watching an Instagram Story or booking an AirBnB Experience. Our new design aligns with modern mobile standards and design conventions.
How this helps you and your visitors
Our refreshed design provides countless benefits to both travel marketers and travelers themselves.
For the travel marketer:
- Better position your website as a go-to resource. By providing visitors with relevant information on what they can do, where, when, and how, you’re able to better guide their journey both before their trip and while they’re on it. You’ll wow travelers and leave them with a great impression of your brand.
- Keep visitors engaged for longer with a more effective website. When you provide both the information they need and a great mobile experience, you can see higher-performing website metrics.
- Strengthen partner relationships. Travelers are more likely to click through to your partners' websites when they’re able to access their information directly from your galleries.
For the traveler:
- The helpful and relevant information they need is right at their fingertips, wherever they are and whenever they need it.
- Travelers can go from inspiration to planning and action. It’s easier to plan their trip or find activities or attractions with the ability to do things like check hours of operation, see cost indicators, or even head directly to a restaurant website to book a reservation.
- They can easily get directions. Clicking on a location directly brings up Google Maps, so travelers can get where they’re going, without having to open a new tab or another app.
Our new mobile gallery design is clean, simple, and does justice to the beautiful images in them, while also giving travelers the information they need, when they need it.
So, how do you get our new gallery design? You already have it! To make the most of them, just make sure Google locations have been added to each of your visuals.
If you’d like to see our mobile galleries and Google Locations features in action, book a walkthrough and we’ll take you through it!
1 Travelport, 2018 Global Digital Traveler Research